How To Connect Dell Laptop To Monitor – Easy Steps
If you have a Dell laptop and want to use it with a monitor to make your work more comfortable or to see everything on your screen without scrolling, this tutorial is for you. I’ll teach you how to connect your Dell laptop to a monitor and adjust some settings that will make the most of your new desktop configuration.
Read Also:Best Laptop For Realtors
So you’ve got yourself a brand new dell laptop. It’s sleek, it’s powerful, it even has enough USB ports for your mouse and charger. So why are there no HDMI ports or VGA slots? The answer to that question is simple — Dell like many other manufacturers out there manufactures their laptops with a plethora of different display connections.
Even worse, most stores don’t even have standardized monitors available to check it against many laptops. This causes a lot of confusion when it comes to connecting your laptop to your HDMI monitor. In this article, I’m going to show you how to connect your Dell laptop to a monitor regardless of the type of monitor you have (HDMI or VGA).
How To Connect Dell Laptop To Monitor with Hdmi
HDMI has become the standard type of high-definition connector found on modern TV sets, and many new computers include an HDMI output. If you want to use a computer with a TV, the simplest way is to connect the HDMI output of your computer directly to an HDMI input on the TV. If your computer doesn’t have an HDMI output, you can still connect it to an HDMI input using an adapter cable that converts the output signal from your computer’s graphics card into an HDMI signal.
1. Connect the HDMI cable to the laptop and the Dell monitor.
2. Click “Start” or press the “Windows” key on the keyboard, then click “Control Panel”, and select “Hardware and Sound”
3. Click “Adjust screen resolution”.
4. Click the “Multiple displays” drop-down box and select “Extend these displays”, if you’d like to use both monitors as one desktop or choose “Duplicate these displays”, if you want both screens to show the same thing. Then click “OK” to save your changes.
How To Connect Dell Monitor To Laptop Without Hdmi
Connecting an external monitor to your Dell laptop is a straightforward process.
External monitors can be connected via VGA or HDMI cable, depending on the type of connection available on both your Dell laptop and the external monitor you want to connect. You can use either of these cables to connect the external monitor to your Dell laptop.
Connect the VGA or HDMI cable from the external monitor into the matching video port on your laptop. The ports are usually located on either side of the laptop.
Turn on the external monitor first and then turn on your Dell laptop.
Press and hold down the “Fn” key, which is located in the lower-left corner of the keyboard, and then press the key that increases brightness. On most laptops, this key is marked with an image of a sun-like icon.
How To Connect Dell Monitor To Laptop With Docking Station
The Docking Station from Dell is a space-saving port replicator suitable for home and office environment which enables connection to your desk peripherals. This docking station includes a latest USB 3.0 technology enabled by Intel in Ivy Bridge. The dock connects with a single cable, freeing up space on your desk and in your workspace with the added ability to mount behind a monitor or on your desk.
You can easily connect all peripherals like keyboard, mouse, printer and other external devices to this compact docking station and keep them organized at one place. Connecting this compact device to your system is very easy, just plug in the USB 3.0 cable into your system and you are ready to go.
1. Power on the laptop and dock station.
2. Connect a monitor to the docking station.
3. Open the Display Settings dialog and verify that the display is working in “extend” mode (not “mirror” mode).
How To Connect Dell Monitor To Laptop With Usb
You need to connect the Dell monitor to your laptop using the USB cable that came with it. On the monitor, there is a USB port labeled upstream. Plug one end of the cable into this port and the other end into one of the USB ports on your laptop.
If your monitor has a USB port, you can connect it to your laptop with a USB cable. However, if you have a newer laptop that features USB-C, you will need to purchase an adapter to use this connection.
A great benefit of using a USB cable is that it also allows you to charge your laptop.
1. Connect your monitor’s power cable. Most monitors come with a power cable, which should be attached and plugged in before connecting the monitor to your computer.
2. Connect the video cable from your monitor to the correct video input on your computer. If you have a newer laptop (USB-C), you will need an adapter before connecting the video cable.
3. Plug in your USB cable from the monitor’s upstream port (square one) into the USB port on your laptop or computer tower.
4. Connect an extra USB cable from one of the downstream ports (the rectangle one) into the other end of the first cable that is connected to your computer. This will let you transfer data between the two devices with ease.